Sunday, January 1, 2012

I'm back!

The holidays are simply craft crazy for me.  I had a wonderful time this year, though it did mean that I slacked off on making cakes.  There are a couple there, but really I just focused on making special things for all the special people in my life.  Here is a brief photo catalog of what I've been up to.  Please excuse the quality of the photos - they say that the new iPod touches take the best pictures...bah!
I'll post the cakes in this entry, and the awesome craftiness that is my Christmas presents in another post.
Sesame Street Cake for Cartwheels and Coffee
Van Gogh Starry Night cake.  Painted fondant.
The spread at my kiddo's 4th birthday!
Super Mario Cake for my son's 4th.
The Little Mermaid cake, made with my super cool new fairie mold!
Chewbacca - my first 3d face
Other side of Chewbacca - Darth Vader, in buttercream.
173rd Airborne pin re-creation for my Father-In-Law
 and my first use of the airbrush.
Thomas the Train cake for Cartwheels and Coffee.
Baby Shower Present cake.
I had such a wonderful time doing all of these.  My new doll/girl/faerie mold has been most fun.  The Starry Night cake was an incredibly freeing experience.  I have always loved that painting, so to try to re-create it was fascinating.  I did get a new airbrush from my wonderful hubby.  My first attempts to use it are very... unpolished looking.  There is definitely a learning curve!  I did use it to to a pearlized look on the Baby Shower cake, and that was easy.  The Mario birthday party was SO much fun to put together, I think it deserves its own post.  I used the checkerboard cake pans my Mom sent me, so the insides are blue and red.  Too fun.  I was most disappointed in the Darth Vader cake.  I kept messing with it and eventually just made myself stop touching it.  I couldn't even find a Darth Vader cake done in BC online  though.  They are all made with fondant, and with good reason!  What a pain in the rear!  Chewbacca's expression made me chuckle.  The birthday boy asked his mama if it was real...he thought I had lopped off Chewie's head and served it up!  He did get over that though in time to let everyone know Chewie was just cake and stuck his fingers right in!
A whole lot of typing.  I hope I haven't bored you!  Next time I sit down to type another novel, it probably won't even have anything to do with cakes at all.  I've started to realize I have an inner Martha Stewart that is dying to come out.  Today alone I have made two crafts.  I may have to join C.A...Crafters Anonymous.  Till next time, toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment