Saturday, February 4, 2012

Shopping and Cars Cakes


This first cake was pretty fun to make!  I had never made a high heel shoe, but there are excellent instructions and templates on cakecentral.com, so I followed those, but I printed them off half size for a smaller shoe.  I think the next time, I will make the heel thinner and do a peep-toe style.  The cake is my favorite yellow cake recipe, with vanilla buttercream frosting and filling.
Interesting sidenote:  I thought the cake that was due was a Barney cake.  I even made green frosting and frosted the cake before I realized!  So I scraped off the green and made up a fresh batch of soft pink.  I'm so glad I caught my mistake!  I really like the way it turned out.  I did shopping bags with tissue "paper" (actually gumpaste) on my American Girl cake and I really love the way fondant and gumpaste move and lay.
Looks like he's saying "Ka-CHOW!"
  The Lightning McQueen cake is for my  niece Dollbaby.  Her mom and I have been planning her party and working on the decorations for a while now, so this was like the climax of all that planning.  My hubby hung out with me in the kitchen while I caked it up.  We had a good time talking and just being around each other (he's been working 7 days a week, 10 hour days for a while now, and he's going to school two nights a week!)  I didn't have a real "plan" for this cake, other than the few things that Dollbaby told me she wanted.  She said she wanted red on top, blue on the bottom, lightning zigzags, and "a Lightning Mcqueen on top, but not a plastic one.  One made out of frosting".  Oh my.  Me thinks I have spoilt the child!  :)  It makes my little heart pitter patter.  The McQueen on top is made out of smooshed cake and frosting (think: inside of a cake pop) and is covered in fondant.  The cake itself is iced in buttercream with fondant decor.  I wanted it to be an impressive size, so I went with three tiers, 10, 8, and 6 inches.  The middle tier I tied to the party decorations (I'm going to write another post about that later.  The party is today so I will take lots of pictures!)  The candles were pretty cool, they are spirals and I got them in the cake decorating section at, you guessed it, Walmart.
  Well, lovelies, I'm still covered in powdered sugar and I am going to get cleaned up.  Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment