Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Sakura Cake



I really enjoyed making this simple Sakura cake.  Cherry blossoms are too cute and pretty!  The cake itself is my old yellow recipe.  There is a monogrammed letter at the top, "K" for Kristen, my sister-in-law.  I was given zero direction for her birthday cake, just that it was her 30th birthday (yay!)  I frosted the whole cake (the light pink) and used my airbrush to pearlize the whole thing, then added chocolate frosting "branches" and border dots.  I liked the idea of the randomness of them.  The flowers are fondant with chocolate buttercream centers. As a finishing touch, I airbrushed some silver on the branches for highlighting and pearlized the blossoms.
  One tip I would like to share about tiered cakes is how to stack them without making it impossible to remove the top tier without tearing off the buttercream on the top of the bottom tier.  I make the dowels just a tiny bit taller than they should be and put a massive amount of (sifted) powdered sugar where the top tier will rest. The powdered sugar absorbs perfectly into the bottom buttercream and makes it a little more durable.
  YAY for cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment