Saturday, October 2, 2010

My Birthday, my Dreadful Little Cake, and Two Other Cakes Too!

Hey everyone,
Yesterday was my birthday, I turned 29!  I had a great day.  I made myself a little cake.  It's ugly but it does the job!  We stuck a q-tip in the top and used that as a candle.  It was HILARIOUS.
I also had a cake for Cartwheels and Coffee, another castle cake.  I was instructed to work in pink and Barbie and Princess, but although I left a spot on the top of the cake between the towers to set a figurine, I couldn't find a small figurine to use!  It was SO irritating!  My brain completely deleted Party City from my brain during my search (for shame, Alesha!) and the great guy Chris at Cartwheels and Coffee said he'd pick one up while he was there later that day. 
Since this was the third time making this type of cake, it was pretty quick and painless.  I must reiterate my love of my darling hubby for drilling the holes in the bottoms of the towers for the dowels to set into so the towers were very sturdy.  Best. Thing. Ever.  I made the towers in Barbie Pink and used pearl nonpareils for the centers of the flowers (to go with the princess Barbie theme).  It was fun and pretty non-stressful.
Today I made another cake for a friend's son's birthday.  They are a Grateful Dead family, so we decided on the Steal Your Face design.  It was pretty straightforward.  I'm at the point now where I'm measuring how much BC I need for certain sizes of cake layers.  I can frost, fill, and decorate a 10" cake like this one with 42oz buttercream, or one recipe of my buttercream.
I printed off the design, flipped it over, and traced over the lines with black BC and a #2 tip.  I inverted that onto the smoothed top of my cake, then went over the lines, filled in the colors, smoothed with my finger, and waited for it to crust.  Then I used the Viva paper towel trick to smooth it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment