Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gumpaste Flowers and Basketweave

This cake is for a baby shower.  I am so pleased to be able to be a tiny part of this!  I was given a few pictures and pretty much free reign to design this cake.  I have been in love with basketweave for so long, so I decided to do the topper as a basket of gumpaste flowers.
The yellow cake recipe I've been making recently has baked funky and has been incredibly domed (which means more cake gets tossed out to level the cakes) the last few times I've made it, so a new recipe was in order.  I found it on Zaar, baked it up, and taste tested it.  Really really good.  I think it's better than the SeriousCakes yellow cake recipe.
 
This past week I made a cake aptly named "Eggless, Butterless, Milkless Cake."  I was a tad concerned that it would come out gross...boy was I mistaken!  The recipe came about during WW1, when those three items were in very short supply.  It was an amazingly flavored spice cake.  I made up some fresh blueberry syrup and layered it in, then topped it with some freshly whipped cream.  My hubby was so pleased!  I baked it in a jelly roll pan and layered it 4 layers high.  I had to add two dowels to keep it from toppling.  We ate up 2/3 of it right there...after Stinkie went to bed...we are mean parents!  The next morning, I ate the remaining third for breakfast.  I kept telling myself it was good for me somehow because it had blueberries on it.  Yeah that doesn't make sense!  Anyhow, I'm off like a dirty shirt!  Be back another time with my husband's birthday cake!
Edited to add:  The person who ordered this cake did a no-call, no-show for pickup, so I gave it away on Craigslist in the free section.  I will ALWAYS collect 1/2 down from now on!

3 comments:

  1. wow....wow, wow, wow. damn, i wish you lived here. id have so many referrals for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. only problem is the cake is no longer milkless when you ad whipped cream. MAke sure you are very careful when it comes to allergic people you bake for... It can be deadly!!Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci, thanks for the comment :) I made the spice cake because I didn't happen to have any butter, or eggs, or regular milk but I needed a cake just for us to eat. I'm always very cognizant of any allergies or aversions when I make my cakes.
    Heather: We will see you soon!

    ReplyDelete