Sunday, December 20, 2009

Smoothing Frosting with Paper Towels

My cousin told me there was a friend of hers asking how to use Viva brand paper towels to smooth frosting, so I'm going to try to explain without photos, then post photos with the next post.
The type of buttercream is pretty important. I use this recipe from SeriousCakes on YouTube:
22T unsalted butter, room temp
2/3c Crisco
2t vanilla extract
5T heavy whipping cream
2lbs (or thereabout) of sifted powdered sugar
1-2T light corn syrup
Use a KitchenAid or hand mixer to cream the butter and Crisco really really well. I mean, cream it like crazy. I don't think I'd ever really try using a hand mixer, but not everyone can have the blessing that is a KitchenAid.
On low speed, add the vanilla, 1t at a time, then the cream, 1T at a time, till well blended.
Beat it some more. Leave it on low speed though, you don't want too many air bubbles.
Sift in the powdered sugar, 1/2c or so at a time, until very stiff and well mixed, scraping the sides often.
Add corn syrup and maybe a little more cream until you like the consistency. Remember to keep it on low, and don't overbeat it muchly.
Okay, so you have your frosting. Color it if you want with Wilton gels or powders, but don't use the liquid stuff you find in the grocery store because it could totally mess up your frosting. You can use Wilton tip #789 with a big old bag to pipe it on the cake, or you can splat a bunch on top and cover the whole cake with a mass of frosting. Basically, it's easier to take off frosting than put it back on, so you want to make sure you put a ton on. Then you go around, smoothing the cake as best you can like you normally would. When you get it nice and smooth, let it sit for 20 minutes or so, until it crusts (this just means you can touch it lightly with your finger and not get any on your finger). Take the paper towel, lay it gently against the surface you want to smooth, and use a flat scraper (I use my cake spatula, the blade from my broken thin chopping knife, and my hand) and run it lightly over the paper towel a few times. Lift off the towel, reposition, and repeat as many times as necessary.
So that's about it. I love SeriousCakes. There's a link in my previous post to her channel on YouTube, but here's a link to the video where she shows how to do this technique. She is flipping awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Alesha that is amazing! I took a cake class and never heard of that. aunt c

    ReplyDelete