Sunday, February 6, 2011

A few Tinkerbells for your viewing pleasure!

Dollbaby's birthday was this past week, and her birthday was this weekend.  I made her two cakes because, well, a girl only turns 5 one time, right?  RIGHT?! This is my "AGREE WITH ME!" face.

The first cake was a doll cake (duh).  It's yellow cake with vanilla frosting, and since I made it just for a very small family gathering at Chick-Fil-A, I used up my "old" buttercream for the filling.  It was pink and blue inside!  I even made the cake board out of scraps I had left over (you can see the flat spot.  I'm so embarassed!  But, it WAS just for family!)  I baked the skirt in a Pyrex bowl (I have as yet to actually purchase the Wonder Mold pan, to my eternal shame) and stacked it on top of a 6" round cake.  I used the trimmings mixed with some buttercream to mold the top to my desired height and shape because well, I just felt too dang lazy to bake another 6" cake!  Dollbaby loved it and we had a great time.  I love Chick-Fil-A.

The cake for her party was a little more involved and a little more fun to make.  I had seen the inspiration photo of this cake a long time ago and wanted to make it for forever, but I didn't have anyone wanting a Tinkerbell cake.  FINALLY!  I got to make it for Dollbaby's Tinkerbell party.  The lily is a fondant/gumpaste mix, as is the bow and grass blades.  It surprised me how little time this cake actually took to put together compared to what I thought it would.  Of course, the Tinkerbell on top is just a candle and not hand molded or anything, so that cut out time right there.  The little mushrooms were so fun and easy.  I molded them on toothpicks.  The candles are those trick sparkling candles.  I liked that they looked like bamboo or grass blades so they fit into the motif of the cake.

I made another cake this past week too, but it was a cake I've made before.  It was cute and the party was at Cartwheels and Coffee, one of my favorite places in Richmond.  There's always a good vibe going around there.  Anyway, I could not for the life of me find my camera, so I had to take this with my webcam and it came out all washed out.  It's a very fun little cake and I loved making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment