Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Years Birthday Rush!

7:30pm:  I get a call from a great client and friend, asking if I can make a cake for 16 people at a little girl's 1st birthday party, the next day at 3pm.  I'm in the car on the way home from my In-law's house, it's my anniversary, and I have a bottle of Mango Rum that is calling hubster's and my name...but I LOVE CAKES!
8:15pm:  We arrive home, and I preheat the oven, get the ingredients together, put the cakes in and set the timer.  Then Hubby pours me a drink and we watch Psych.  We're wild party animals, I tell you!
8:50(ish):  The cakes come out of the oven, and just in time!  I'm about to start my third drink.  I wrap up the cakes and set them in the fridge.
The rest of the evening is filled with more Mango Rum and Louis C.K. standup comedy.  I was in stitches the rest of the night.  Midnight comes, we kiss, I flick the porch light on and off a few times, then the gunshots start and we scramble into our house as we hear a ricochet.  *Two more years until we buy a house!* I tell myself!  Up to bed!
6:00am:  Stinkie is up.  It's Hubby's day to wake up with him, so I lay in bed for a few minutes... then realize I have to go to the Walmartz for frosting ingredients!
7:30-8:00am:  Getting hit on by a weird guy in the Walmart parking lot...before AND after buying the things I need.

8:15am:  Make the fondant bow and the gumpaste curly ribbons so they have time to dry a little.  Make the cake board, mix the frosting, color the frosting, make frosting plugs, fill and stack layers, base coat the cake.
10:00am: Try to figure out how to do the quilted look and have it come out straight lines.  I marked 1" intervals around the bottom of the cake, then used a straight edge to copy the intervals on the top ridge.  After trial and error (this is my first quilted cake) I used a straight cake scraper to make the quilted lines, then painstakingly put in pearl non-pariels at each meeting point.  The bottom border went in about here.  Then I made the nameplate.  Side note...I love the name Lauren.
11:30ish:  I make the "1" on the top, fill, and outline.  Pipe the top border, then place the ribbon and the nameplate.

12:15pm:  I want to put my child down for a nap and he insists on Daddy.  I haven't seen the little guy all day and I MISS HIM!  Hubby has been entertaining and loving on him all day so much he hasn't hardly bothered with me.  I'm relieved...but a little sad too :(  He's getting so big now!  Daddy takes off afterward and...I realize I don't have tape to make the cake box.  I look everywhere.  All I have is blue and red electrical tape.  All my tape got eaten up with the Christmas wrapping.  EEK!  Since I don't have a car to use, that awesome client I mentioned earlier agrees to pick one up on the way over.  She is awesome.  I think I said that though!
1pm:  The kitchen is mostly cleaned and the cake is pretty much done.  All I have to do is take pictures.  I do that and wait for the pickup time (2pm-ish).  Then I rest for a few minutes.  My head is swimming and I realize I have the worst hangover I've ever had.  We have no Tylenol here and I'm stuck here!
The rest of the day is a blur.  We went to Outback and I got sick.  Hubby drove me home and took care of Stinkie.  What a great guy!  I took a bath and went to bed at 7:45.  Slept ALL night, and I feel much better now!

No comments:

Post a Comment