Monday, November 1, 2010

Catching up again...Chicago Bears Slouch Cap

I need to stay current on this blog!  Yesterday was Halloween and I sit here eating my child's enormous stash of candy, feeling guilty for not knowing what cake I put on this blog last or which one comes next...I actually had to check my own blog!

This cake was exactly the same size as an NFL cap.  It is yellow cake with vanilla BC frosting.  The frosting had to be a dark navy blue, and I was worried about the darkness, since you have to use a LOT of black coloring to get anywhere close to it and black food dye tastes like butt.  Thankfully, I had bought some Chefmaster black food dye powder from EBay and used that.  There was no strange taste at all, and it colored it very well.
The brim is made out of gumpaste that I tried to dye the same color as the BC, but failed.  So I just attached the brim and covered it in BC.
The cake was baked in an 8" round and a pyrex bowl, so waste of cake due to carving was kept to a minimum.  I used the Wilton baking core for the bowl to make sure it got baked perfectly.  I usually just use the flower nail #7.  Anyway.
After frosting and doing the Viva paper towel method, I let it get hard in the fridge, then brought it out to do the stitching with the Wilton quilting tool.


The NFL logo is hand painted gumpaste.  I think it came out awesome.  Interesting sidenote, the logo on the 2009 Bears slouch cap is a resurrected 1970's NFL logo.  I don't know why, I guess they just felt like bringing it back to the old school.  The Reebok and C logos are buttercream.
It was placed in a special-made, super sturdy cake box and my new card was attached to that.  Did I mention I got new cards?  They are too cute.  You can get free ones from Vistaprint, but I loved the design I got on mine.
This was a fun cake, and nothing went wrong in the making of it.  Such a wonderful blessing!
It's been a while since I posted my email, so here it is... alesharaelane@yahoo.com.
Have the best day ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment