Monday, August 23, 2010

Pregnant Mamma Silhouette Cake

I saw this technique online and so badly wanted to try it out.
Thankfully, I got an opportunity!  The cake itself is just yellow cake with vanilla buttercream filling and frosting.  The dark pink medallions are fondant leftover from a previous cake I made.  Fondant can stay good for up to 3 months in the refrigerator if stored properly.
In making a cake that is tall and thin, you need to have an ample support system.  I use wooden dowels for this support system in a thin cake like this one.  The cake is 4-6" round layers sitting atop one 8" square layer.  It is basically two 2-layer cakes on top of one another.  I use wax paper on the bottom of each cake board for (hopefully) easier removal of the layer without damage to the underlying frosting.
Getting a violet is touchy.  It is very easy to go from white to purple without using much color.  I use a very small amount of color, mix it in, then a little more as needed.
The silhouette I printed off the computer and cut out carefully, then rolled gumpaste very thinly and painstakingly removed the main section using a decorator's wheel, a razor blade, and a few other gumpaste instruments.  After the silhouette was cut out to my satisfaction, I marbled a piece of white gumpaste with light pink and rolled it thinly, then "glued" the silhouette to it with gumpaste glue (basically, gumpaste glue is a small piece of gumpaste dissolved in very little water until it's easy to paint on).  I laid the malleable gumpaste silhouette onto a sugar canister to give it a 6" curvature, and let it dry for a few days.
The daisies were pretty easy to do.  I let them dry on an egg crate I reserve just for that purpose to give them shape.
Overall, I am pleased with this cake and I learned a few new techniques along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment