Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Under the Sea Cake

I made one major mistake while making this 8", 2 tier cake-  I forgot the dowels in the bottom tier to keep the cake from squishing!  Thankfully, the squishing was kept to a minimum by keeping the cake refrigerated, as I pipe a border of buttercream to contain the filling.
It's a Decadent Chocolate cake with Strawberry-Blueberry filling - YUM!  The Ariel figurine is actually a candle I picked up at a party supply store.  Too cute!  The underwater effect was made by mixing green and blue frosting and layering it side by side in the piping bag, then squeezing it on thick and smoothing in only one direction with the spatula.  I was pleased with how it came out.  I was going for pink sea anemones with the flowers but I didn't want to detract from the figurine, so I kept them very small.  The seaweed was done with swirly green frosting (just frosting with the green not mixed completely in) and a leaf tip, I think #67.  I took two pictures only of this cake...I know, bad foresight!  One has the flash off and one has the flash on...I think I'm going to put both in here.
Why?  Well, just because I can!  :)
It was a fun little cake and the birthday girl was so pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment