Monday, March 22, 2010

My Busy Weekend, Part 2

The last cake that was due this weekend, on Sunday, was for the same client who picked up the Striped Cat Cake on Friday.  Her twins turned 8 (did I mention that already?  I just can't remember!) and she had the awesome cute idea of using the figure 8 cakes for both of them, decorated very differently.  It was truly inspired!
The Race Track Cake was very straightforward and a welcome cake after the hard time I had with the last cake.  Just two 2-layer 8" rounds pieced together and frosted with chocolate frosting colored dark gray (think asphalt).  I layered, fit together, covered, let it crust, and smoothed with Viva paper towels on Saturday night and let the cake hang out in the fridge until the morning.  During waiting/baking times, I made the flags out of gumpaste and let dry a little, then painted on the checkered flag and handled it roughly...MISTAKE!  It ripped right next to the "pole".  So I did it again and painted one side, then let it sit overnight with the fan on it.  The next day, fully refreshed, I piped on the outlines on the cake, piped the grass around, painted the other side of the checkered flag, and *poof* cake was done!  The client was to place some Hot Wheels on the track prior to serving.  Super cute!  Happy Birthday to Twins!
By the way, moms of twins are amazing.  Every time I see twins, I set their mom on a pedestal.  You know the best part?  They usually have makeup on and their clothing matches and has no stains (totally unlike me, and I only have one)!   It's simply awesome to me when I realize that there are mothers out there who can handle two at one time.  To all moms of multiples out there, you rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment