Friday, April 2, 2010

Funny Little Burger Cake

So yesterday was April Fools' day, and since I had already made the Spaghetti and Meatballs cake I needed a new idea.  We invited a couple over for dinner and I thought another little cake (read: 4 servings and NO leftovers for me to pig out on).  I really wanted another shaped food cake, so I went with a hamburger.  I made up a boxed cake (is this becoming a trend for me?  OH NO!) into a 6" and a 10" cake.  I put them in the oven at 350 and let them bake for 10 minutes, then my Mother-In-Law called to say she was outside.  Miscommunication!  I thought she was going to be around 30 minutes out!  So I turned off the oven and let them sit in there while we went out.  They came out a little overcooked but otherwise fine.

When I came home I used the 6" cake for the base and covered it with white frosting.  The bottom and top buns I cut out 3.5" diameter.  The "burger" part was about 3" diameter and thinner.  The top bun I shaved into a dome and covered, and the bottom I just covered in the tan frosting.  I put the bottom bun on the base, then frosted the burger all sloppy-like so it looked sort of real and placed that.  I made the cheese and veggies out of fondant I had leftover.
Cheese first!  The pickles were light green with dark green outside.  I did this by rolling the lt. green into a thick log and rolling out a rectangle of the dark green, then using a serrated knife to cut thick chunks of that off and rolled them to the correct pickle size.  The tomatoes are just red fondant circles and the lettuce is dark green (I love me some romaine!) cut into ovals and the edges I rolled with a special frilling tool to make them lettuce-y.  I placed all these things (in this order) and cemented them with a drop or two of water, then used the #3 tip to pipe on the mayo and ketchup (just colored buttercream).  Then I placed the top bun on and piped on sesame seeds with the #2 tip in white.
It was a fun little cake!  When our guests
arrived, however, they had brought these HUGE WONDERFUL cupcakes from a little bakery out in the West End, so I decided to give it away on Craigslist.  We did have the most wonderful time visiting!  We don't invite people over enough to entertain.  I just have a kick hanging out with adults, now that I'm in full mama mode all day most days!  Right now I'm waiting for someone to come pick it up.  I really love doing that.  I think I need to start donating cakes to causes or something, it really makes me happy!
Edited:  The guy came to pick it up right after I posted!  Hurray for free cakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment